[foodhackingbase] brew tasting and beer brewing workshop at 31c3

Frantisek Algoldor Apfelbeck algoldor at foodhackingbase.org
Sat Dec 6 04:27:38 CET 2014

Hi to all,
quick answers in the text as ### concerning the tastings it is bit
longer, sorry for that

### I suggest to set up times for tasting events during this weekend so
we do not go through that too long (we can always change it if necessary
later on, peferably not).

On 2014-12-06 04:04, Marcel van der Peijl wrote:
> I have a bottle of hacker-brew cider made from freshly juiced apples
> (which apparently is alcoholic but not bubbly) and a bought bottle of
> smoky oak barreled cider. Who knows I might bring prison hooch :). So
> count me in for the homebrew tasting session.

### completely forgot on this, please do bring ciders, any, all just
bring them. It is an amazing craft to make cider which I want to learn
and which I consider hughly underated. Would go well with wine tasting
and other fruite wines (which many people love) I would say? I agree
with Ingo, space will be limited and also wine/fruite wines and beers
may be better separated. At least I would vote for separation. Probiotic
drinks may be done as tasting during "less prominent times" like before
18:00 or 19:00 etc.

> Sine we have one evening of cheese tasting, one evening of whiskey
> tasting and one evening of homebrew tasting, all evening are booked,
> we just have to decide who picks what evening. Frantisek had some
> preference for the cheese, Ingo has some preference, I don't care when
> the whiskey evening is.

### I actually do not have personal preference for any, as long as I can
make it to all :-) I'm just trying to help to find the best solution on
this one. Before my thinking goes on, shortly: Evening day one whiskey
tasting, evening day two beer tasting and wine tasting/separate session
and evening day three cheesestings (events on the day 2 and 3 could me
exchanged). My thinking goes like this: cheeses will be brought before
and during the congress definitely during the day 1, maybe even the day
2. It is highly likely going to be again the biggest tasting event
requiering most work, so because of that I would say that day 2 or 3
would be good, but also we will not eat everything there, so it would be
good to have some time to snack and distribute the cheeses around - they
make a good impression, which makes evening of the day 2 best timing
from my point of view, again evening of day 3 would work too I think but
not as good because of eating it up (and they also take place in the
fridge). ... Ingo would prefer do the beer tasting on the evening before
the workshop and I would assume that day 4 is not his favorite as is for
neither of us (and no evening there). So would you Ingo and others into
this be OK for beer tasting on the day 1 or day 2? Seems to me bit too
early for day one ... Maybe really evening of day 2 for the beer
tasting/wine tasting, separate sessions and day 3 cheesetasting? Could
be the best, and whiskey tasting evening day 1? Lets get hammered
stright away? Not me anyway ...

> We do have to get some sign-up schedule going so we know how many in
> each session, so we can double sessions if required. (I need to get my
> haggis and black pudding in Amsterdam before I leave for congress, so
> I'd like to know how many participants)

### I definitely agree on the booking system, at least for some events
to get basic idea what is the interest, we can and should I think leave
some extra spots empty. Ingo did this worked last year, you set it up
didn't you?

https://dudle.inf.tu-dresden.de/30c3_fhb_d1_makgeolli/

### I'm not sure how much we used this option. Maybe at the end of the
day we should ask the people who really want to come to create an
account on 31c3 wiki and sign in in the form which we make for the
events. However keep in mind, last year the 31c3 wiki went down
completely for over a day, that may happen again, I've been worned from
several people based on their previous experience. Still it may be the
most easy solution if no disaster happens.

> Marcel

### Continuing commenting on Ingo's post

> -----Original Message----- From: Ingo Weidauer
> Sent: Friday, December 5, 2014 5:50 PM
> To: Food Hacking Base mailing list
> Cc: Arnd ; Machtelt Garrels ; Daan Uttien ; martin at hupf.de ;
> salomonderossi
> Subject: Re: [foodhackingbase] brew tasting and beer brewing workshop
> at 31c3
>
> Hi,
>
> I think we should seperate between beer/wine and non-alcoholic
> beverages.
> At the end we were a lot of people drinking and disussing about beer.
> (some strawberry wine was also included)
> Bringing more drinks into account might be too much depending on the
> size of the space we have.

### I personally agree as quated above, so one tasting session for
beers, one tasting sessionfor  whiskeys, one tasting session for wine,
fruit wines, rice alcoholic beverages and other alcoholic beverages
(maybe done on the same evening as beers or even better on the cheese
tasting evening but not simultanously - before or after) and one tasting
probiotic drinks done during the day before the evening. How does it
sound?

> I already told Frantisek, that I would like to organise a Demo workshop
> explaining the principles of brewing + making a mesh.
> I did this last time as a demo on the tables for people passing by.
> I made a mesh and every 10-20minutes I bottles some liquid from the
> mesh.
> So everyone was able to taste the whole process and a lot of them were
> interested how the "sugar comes out of the grain".
> Furthermore I had different sorts of malt and hop.

### Sounds good we should talk about expected expenses, how much should
fhb cover, how much you expect from the workshop etc.

> My idea for this year is:
> Making a mesh during the workshop and tell people about the process of
> beer brewing. Having all the ingredients and different kind of beers
> for
> tasting e.g. malty/strong/IPA....

### Very good idea, we should either bring  then variety of beers
covering it by yourselves or we should use the budget, second may be
better/or combine which is generally the case - back bone covered by the
budget so we can plan and relay on it, rest bring and share. How much do
you think we should put asside for this if we use the budget? For the
sample beers I mean.

> Is there anyone else who would like to participate??
> Has anyone a good idea?

### I need to start to brew my beer this year as soon as possible so I'm
definitely in.

> @Frantisek: What do you think is the best time for that.
> I would prefer having the beer tasting the evening before.

### Answered/suggested above.

> Sincerely,
> Ingo

### Lets sort out when we taste what during the weekend?

### Sincerely,

### FAA