[foodhackingbase] Fw: Culture growth

Frantisek Apfelbeck algoldor at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 29 08:28:34 CET 2013

>> Hi to all,
>> I'm just answering one of the emails in this case from Marcin concerning kefir and kombucha cultures, it may help you with your brewing too, answers in the text.

Hey!
I'm totally for adding this thread to the list!

Concerning kombucha, there should be film created on            the top, if it is not that is a problem. Do you have some            small piece of SCOBY left to add, or original liquid, that            would do too. The temperature of the sugar/teat sirup +            water = growing medium which you are adding the kombucha            culture too should be below 30 degress, if not sure colder            is better than hot. For a small piece of SCOBY/liquid you            should go under 0.5 l of medium in total, if not sure again            go for smaller amount like 300 ml. Did you kept the kombucha            brew open to the air just covered by cloth against the            insect?
I keep it covered with a non-tight lid and let it breath from time    to time - i might change to a cotton cloth+rubber one
It seems i've put way too much liquid then! the radius of my    kombucha is just a bit bigger than standard office mug [what a    measurement unit!] I will check out with lower amount and -- perhaps    it created some cellulose but not outside its area - because for    instance it caught a bubble of air inside.

>> I would wait a bit and see how it goes, the "bubble" sounds positive :-) By the way what is the temperature which you are fermenting at? Kombucha likes something between 16 to 25 more or less, above twenty is good ...

>> Sincerely,

>> FAA

    Great You have a good time in Korea. Post pictures of the paradise!

Regards,

m.