[foodhackingbase] Which is the bestir Makkoli recipe?

Frantisek Apfelbeck algoldor at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 5 14:58:48 CET 2012

Forgot to copy the food hacking base, sorry here it goes ...

Hi Felix and all makgeolli enthusiasts,
>Just quick one. I have checked the recipes which you shared with me quickly. The first recipe is close to the today's industrial style of production of Korean Makgeolli or the Japanese style of "rice wine making" because it uses koji
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspergillus_oryzae
>
>Also it uses cooked rice which I'm not very familiar with.
>
>The second recipe uses steamed rice (that is what we do at Susubori) and yeast. Using just yeast is not usual for Korea, we for example add yeast in addition to nuruk (for 1 kg of rice (chapsal - sticky rice
 recommended), we use 90 g of nuruk and 3 g of yeast (baker yeast I assume, no one knows which really annoys me). We wash 4-8 times the rice in cold water to get rid of the starch, let it steep for 2.5-3 hours, dry it for 40 min and steam it for 20-25 min. Cool it down for 30-40 min to room temperature and transfer to the fermentation vessel (leave around 50-70% free place for air so 5 l wide mouth container suits well), add nuruk (90 g of wheat based nuruk, there are many different types) and yeast (3 g baker yeast should be fine) if you like and 1 l of water (rice ratio to water 1:1, that results in sweater type and more viscous beverage, if you go 1.2 (water):1 (rice) than you get dryer and more acidic beverage), mix well but gently not rupturing the rice grains, making sure that the nuruk falls apart

>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapai
>
>Let to ferment with slightly "open" lid on the container for 3 days, mixing every day properly, after
 that let to ferment for another 3-4 days (max 5-7 days all together) and taste regularly and harvest when you feel it is right. The harvest is basically straining the mixture through the "fine straining bag" and bottling. Bottle the liquid leaving around 10-15% of the bottle to air (carbon generation can be quite vicious) and keep refrigerated. You can use the residual particles for cosmetics but do not ask me how (but I can check with Eunha she knows too well ...).

>Anyway I hope it helps, by the way the recipe above is for single fermented makgeolli which takes in total less than 7 days and is more prone to be sour than the double fermented one.
>
>Because you are on several mailing lists and you are hacker I will abuse your email and send it to the Food Hacking Base (fhb) so others can benefit too. Actually no I will not abuse it because if you did not signed for this discuss list yet I will do a horrible things to you at 29c3 (like making
 you taste some of my "experiments" or maybe the folk from London hacker space could bring their "luminescent beer" if they finished it already, and try to imagine what your Mam would says if she founds her bathroom glowing as a "Eiffel tower" if you leave some traces ...). I will give a workshop on makgeolli making at 29c3 and I will bring some nuruk (if they do not confiscate it at the customs) so you can join the party. I will upload  the workshop within next three days and post it to the fhb workshop wiki