[foodhacking] shall we transfer from doku to media wiki? or something else?

Frantisek Apfelbeck algoldor at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 22 05:19:58 CEST 2013

Hi to all,
I would like to ask around if the group would be OK to transfer our doku wiki to media wiki, that would be a simple option

https://foodhackingbase.org/

Or something else, more "cool" etc. for more info read at the "WILD FERMENTATION INSPIRATION". Warning, we may not be ready for this yet concerning activity and size of the group, but I think we may be soon.

I already talked to Lurwah and especially Christian, the process of transfer of doku to media wiki should not be too difficult, Christian is able to do that (may take some time, he is busy these days).

So what do you think about this? I have been checking this on different forums etc. and at the end several people actually recommended to stick with doku wiki because it is kind of faster to access and more easy to back up, but for me and some others the syntax is harder to use to get a nice looking effect, under media wiki it is more simple. The fhb wiki should be well structured and designed/kept before 30c3 hit, which will be big for us.

Now the "WILD FERMENTATION INSPIRATION" - portal

http://www.wildfermentation.com/

I think that building up something like this as a long term goal would be great but honestly I do not know how hard it would be and where to start. What I like about this page especially:

- it looks fine and simple and is easy to navigate around

- it has Resources - Fermentation Support Forum! - very easy to navigate and readable way how to get help with your trouble shooting or get your answer from previous posts, this is very very handy and great time saver - I answer some questions all the time around which means that I can not spend time on something else

- blog - once in a month or so nice more detailed post about something cool - great idea for us I think too

- events - where people associated with the group are going to be active, whole group or someone who is in touch, doesn't matter too much, in our case it could easily include variety for maker fairs and events where different food/drink and bio hacking is happening

So anyway I really like this and I would like to help to build up something like that a bit by bit but my knowledge of HTML etc. is close to the zero, I know wiki and blogs, done. What do you think? How hard would make something like that, how hard would be to keep it up to date in a good shape (well administrated).

Talk to you soon and please express your opinions.

Sincerely,

Frantisek Algoldor Apfelbeck

biotechnologist&kvasir and hacker

http://www.frantisekapfelbeck.org