[Finance] Financial model for a large hackerspace

Edward L Platt elplatt at i3detroit.com
Wed Feb 26 20:21:06 CET 2014

The resources above are a good place to start.  It's it's really important
to remember that every hackerspace is going to be different depending on
the interests, needs, and activities of the local community.  You'll need
to be flexible and readjust in the early days.

-Ed

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 1:27 PM, Paul Brown <paul90brown at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think this is what you want?:
> http://makezine.com/2013/06/04/making-makerspaces-creating-a-business-model/
>
> There's a lot of information about that in this dropbox (which was for a
> conference that Artisan's Asylum put together on starting a hackerspace):
> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xn01t8hc8245e5o/SDFKaVqgtY
>
> I post Dallas Makerspace's Profit & Loss reports on our wiki, it might
> give you a perspective of how money tends to be spent:
> https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Profit_%26_Loss_Reports
>

> On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 12:21 PM, David Levin <dalevin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> We are launching a non-profit hackerspace for disruptive hardware in Tel
>> Aviv. We plan to start off with at least 600 sqm and scale it up to 1,500
>> sqm. Does anyone know where/how to find a good financial model to help us
>> launch this? If there isn't a solid open source financial model now, we'd
>> like to make our model totally open source once it's built.
>>
>> If there is no comprehensive template, do you know where to find usage
>> data for the equipment, e.g., 3D printers, 3D scanning, CNC, vinyl cutter,
>> etc...? We plan to have a full range of equipment. Happy to share more
>> details on what we're planning.
>>
>> Thanks very much.

Edward L. Platt
http://elplatt.com