[Finance] Rent as a charitable donation

Edward L Platt elplatt at i3detroit.com
Tue Mar 8 18:15:27 CET 2011

Similarly, the value of donated services are not deductible[1].  (If an
accountant tells you they are, run away!)

The logic is that you can only deduct money you've actually spent.  It
actually makes sense if you think about it, because the landlord is getting
an implicit deduction by giving you free rent.  If they were renting to a
for-profit, they would have to pay tax on that income.  Since they don't
have that income, they aren't paying taxes on it.

You could do as Lokkju suggests and write each other checks, but there would
be no tax benefit for the landlord because the additional income would
increase their taxes by the same amount the deduction would decrease it.
 However, such a transaction might be beneficial to the hackerspace for a
few reasons:
* It would increase your "public support" which would help you keep public
charity status
* If you have any grants that match your other contributions, it would make
your other contributions higher.

[1]
http://www.irs.gov/publications/p526/ar02.html#en_US_2010_publink1000229693

Happy hacking,