[hackerspaces] Group chat for hackerspaces going to Congress

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Tue Nov 17 01:10:40 CET 2015

For the last Camp and Congress, most folks orbiting around or with
Noisebridge have used Google Hangouts as a group chat thing. Trying to get
people on one service is really painful, and eventually degrades into an
argument about privacy, encryption, and bike shedding.

This year I've started a matrix of chat protocols and services groups at a
conference such as Congress could use. It's not meant to declare a winner,
but to give folks a nice overview of all the trade offs of going with a
particular service so that you can make a good choice as to what works well
specifically for you. Ironically it's hosted on Google Docs...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1b5v13AHXXQkC6EfvpL-u8vYmAFQWPlr-9ZjRNT1NGCY/edit#gid=0

Services are listed, not clients (Tor Messenger is a client). Encryption
isn't at the top of the list because YOU'RE ALREADY GOING TO A LARGE HACKER
CONFERENCE and if your threat model is being snooped on over IM then maybe
you should rethink the life choices that has lead you to communicating in a
group chat with a bunch of other paranoid hackers whom are running a
variety of unaudited phone hardware and operating systems. I am happy to
discuss this further, but only in person, over drinks, during New Years, in
Berlin.

Feel free to update the list if you've got new information to add.

--
Rubin
rubin at starset.net