[hackerspaces] Proprietary Product Company as a sponsor of FOSS event

Matt Maier blueback09 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 20:28:30 CEST 2014

During my masters work I found an article in a law journal discussing the
"cartelization" of open source. Basically, if a market is 100% open source
it creates a de facto cartel because the consumer is offered the exact same
thing no matter where they go. Long paper short, the author concluded that
a market would be healthiest when it's approximately 20% open source (how
you measure that is a bit subjective).

Personally, I think it's important to have a FOSS option to keep the
proprietary options on their toes, but that's it. I don't think FOSS works
as a moral absolute.

There shouldn't be anything wrong with accepting money in return for goods
and services. It only makes sense to take a moral stand against someone
when they're causing a problem. Merely being a for-profit business is not
inherently a problem (at least in my personal opinion).

They give you money to put on your event, and you give them eyeballs to see
some advertising. Don't over think it. If someone has to be 100% in
agreement with your organization before you'll work with them to mutual
benefit you're gonna have a bad time. I bet even within your own
organization you could find disagreement on at least a few points. If you
guys can still work together there's no reason to hold outsiders to a
higher standard.

But that's none of my business ;)
Matt