[hackerspaces] Idea: Mini-Camps in even years

Matt Joyce matt at nycresistor.com
Fri Sep 2 20:05:38 CEST 2011

In new york city,  the world outside of the city is referred to as jersey or
upstate.  It may as well be the cornfields.  It is a place all fear and none
dare to tread.
On Sep 2, 2011 10:23 AM, "Jerry Isdale" <isdale at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Maui you can drive hit all the major population spots with a solid day
of driving, most of it about 10-15mph, and no place with more than maybe
30,000 people.   I'd be up for hosting a mini-camp, and am considering doing
a Science Hack Camp (http://sciencehackday.com/) with an intense hack-a-thon
followed by a week of beach time for visitors.  I've never been to a ccc
event so i'm not sure what would be involved.  Not sure if we could get
enough people to fly in.

> Jerry Isdale
> http://MauiMakers.com
> http://www.mauimakers.com/blog/thursday-public-meeting/
>
> On Sep 2, 2011, at 4:06 AM, James Arlen wrote:
>
> > Ahh yes, I totally agree about the eastern seaboard of North America
(including Southern Ontario and Southern Quebec in that) but then us crazy
Canadians come into the mix - driving from Toronto west, just to get out of
Ontario takes about 26 hours - just over 1900km -- and driving west from
Toronto to the next city of approximately 1 million people (Calgary) is
~3500km and nearly 45 hours.

> > The population density of Canada is nearly all in 4 major pockets
(Montreal, Toronto/Mississauga/Hamilton, Calgary/Edmonton and Vancouver) and
driving between those four (east to west) is ~5600km and 3 days of driving.

> > Hitting three of the four European cities that are larger than the
largest Canadian city is going to be 1800km in about 20 hours of driving!

> > The difference in distances just boggles my mind -- in Canada, you have
to drive for 3 days to see ~18 million people. In Europe, you can see more
than ~40 million in one day.

> > Of course, this is from someone who commutes 150km to get to and from
work every day.

> > :)

> > --
> > James Arlen
> > myrcurial at thinkhaus.org
> > 289-441-1407

through about 8 countries before some of us can drive out of the province we
live in!

> >> That actually is a bit of a myth. There were people from Macedonia at
CCCamp2011, and the distance they had to travel was equal to about 1600 km
overland, while traveling from Atlanta takes about the same distance.

> >> If you realise that the Eastern seaboard of North-America is roughly
equally densely populated as Western-Europe, the difference isn't that big
anymore.