[hackerspaces] Webcam setups, for security and community?

Joe Ferguson halo09 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 19:15:55 CET 2011

At Midsouth Makers, we use Motion (
http://www.lavrsen.dk/foswiki/bin/view/Motion) running on a ubuntu box. We
currently run 2 USB cameras and 2 IP cameras. IP Cams work tremendously
better than USB (Distance, even seems easier on the CPU). The one problem
we've run into is we've been given a few cameras that don't expose the
action mjpeg stream, which is a problem for motion. I posted all our notes
/ config files to our wiki if you're interested:
http://wiki.midsouthmakers.org/a/MidsouthMakers_Webcams the setup is very
basic but it works well for us.

With some simple bash scripting to move images to to directories of sub
domains hosted on the local box so we could check out the logs of still
images via web browser. We even throw images to our main web site every so
often so the public/members can see them.

No matter what system you use, I highly recommend going the IP Camera
route, we're migrating towards replacing our USB cameras with IP cams.

--
- Joe Ferguson
http://www.midsouthmakers.org

 <https://www.google.com/voice?pli=1#phones>