[hackerspaces] Hackerspace Logo

Jordan Bunker bunker.jordan at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 19:34:16 CEST 2011

Hey everyone!

I've been thinking a lot about the projects that people share online, and
how someone might know whether it came from a hackerspace or not. Some
people choose to blog about their project on their space's website, but I
think there might be a lot of research and projects being completed at
spaces that aren't being advertised that way.

So, how could we easily identify a project or research as having come from a
hackerspace or makerspace?

Currently, many people who identify with hacker ethos use the "Glider"
symbol as a badge. When you see it, it means that you're associating
yourself with hacker culture.

Could we have something like that for hackerspaces and makerspaces?

I'm imagining something that can be inserted in a blog post, a youtube
video, or by your name on a research paper. It would be a great way to show
the world the kind of productivity that happens at hackerspaces, and a
symbol to rally behind.

Perhaps a competition to design such a logo might be a good idea... what do
you guys think? If enough people like the idea, then I'd be happy to help
organize the competition.

Thoughts?