[hackerspaces] Announcement: PartKeepr - Electronic Component Database

Timo A. Hummel privat at timohummel.com
Tue Jun 14 11:13:16 CEST 2011

I'm happy to announce the "birth" of PartKeepr - an electronic component
database with hackerspaces kept in mind.

I know that many hackerspaces have some kind of electronic lab, and most
hackerspaces I've talked to don't use a database to track their
electronic components. Reasons for that are very different - only a
small number of parts or no shared parts at all; "offline" inventory
systems (e.g. labeled drawers and boxes). However, our hackerspace
RaumZeitLabor [1] from Mannheim, Germany has now exceeded 1.650
different parts with an overall quantity of 30.500pcs available for
projects, which makes it very much impossible to use any offline system.

Until now, we've used a software called PartDB (available in german
only) to manage and inventorize parts, but the software wasn't designed
for multiple users, the huge amount of parts we've got, and hackerspaces
in general. So we decided to work on another system, started in late
2010 and we're now near a first release. Many thanks goes out to Georgyo
of the NYC resistor who "invented" the name PartKeepr this night.

I don't know if your hackerspace has similar huge numbers in terms of
parts and quantity, but since PartKeepr is open source - feel free to
have a look, leave comment, bugfixes, code, suggestions and start using
it. A demo site with demo parts is available [2] - sorry, but our part
names are german since we're from germany ;)

I've prepared a FAQ [3], which answers quite some questions that popped
up when I showed PartKeepr to some people. Even if you don't have the
need for a managemen software, you might find some nice ideas about
inventorizing components.

Our code is on Github [4]. Feel free to fork!

Thanks,
Timo

[1] http://www.raumzeitlabor.de
[2] http://partkeepr.felicitus.org