[hackerspaces] A New Hacker Has Joined Your Party!

Chris Hardee shazzner at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 22:47:32 CET 2011

In certain aspects see your point and I foresee an unfortunate consequence
where too much money and politics get involved and much of the original
spirit is lost (one example I can think of is the 'open core' aspect of the
open source movement).

That being said, I think the argument that branching out to the community,
local economy is soiling the purity of hackerspaces is ridiculous. Much like
the example of open cores, it's an exception but doesn't break the rule and
like the free software movement, the freedom to use the tools is what makes
it strong.

Hackerspaces will remain hobbyist clubhouses, unless, the community becomes
involved. Involved in all levels too. Schools won't care unless we can show
we can teach. Local businesses won't care unless we can show our tools can
help them compete and grow. The local city council might declare a
"Hackspace" a den of thieves and shut us down if we don't get them to
understand and care. In fact I believe it to be utterly essential to future
of hackerspaces, and the hacker movement in general to become involved.