[hackerspaces] Student hackers in a university environment

Eureka eureka at fusionnetwork.us
Fri May 28 17:52:44 CEST 2010

I can second that. College IT is (in my experience) going to either be
really nice and try to help you out...or they will curse you to the depths.
Then again, it really is who you end up working with. I find that the
guys that repair systems on campus are usually a really good resource.
They are nice and a little hackerish themselves.
I would suggest you talk with them some about what you are working on or
even trying to get some old hardware for a project. I know the guys at
the University here have been a huge help to me in the past.

If you are hoping to get a university to allow students to "Pen Test"
the network I would tread softly, a lot of .edu network people have a
more of a shoot first - ask later personality. Im sure we have all seen
the articles about the guy just trying to help out and sending email to
a .edu admin only to either be kicked out of school or have charges
brought against them.
One suggestion for this would be to setup a demo lab to show them what
you can do. Just make sure its computers NOT connected to their network
until you get the OK (in writing!).

At my school the "Help Desk" is almost exclusively a student job as well
as the "pc tech/lab tech". This can be nice but I have noticed they tend
to hire people that are either on financial aid or don't really know
much more than "This is how to print in MS office".

Good luck with your talk, Our hackerspace is working to get students
interested and maybe having a club on campus that dose basically the
same thing as our group but as an Registered Student Organization (RSO).
We have had several of the clubs ask us to make them cool toys (lighting
rigs, little micro projects..some other random stuff). One good thing
that has given us is to show the rest of the students what we can do
(spark interest) and has the IT group at least a little less uptight
about us calling ourselves a "Hackerspace". (Remember the media tells
everyone were all evil!).

-E