[hackerspaces] Discuss Digest, Vol 20, Issue 17

Dan Lozano danozano at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 21:26:11 CEST 2010

Seems like the fix of MAC banning or a WEP key written on the board is
easy enough to pick off the offenders, since they're not too frequent
or too motivated to work at getting past a small barrier in most
cases.  I think it's mostly just freeloaders wanting service without a
bill, not people that want to get into our network specifically. 23b
Shop is located in a ferro-cement maze of industrial buildings, so
there aren't as many APs visible around us -- an wide open AP
practically has a bow tied on it, around here.

Another solution might be to restrict connection speed to the known
offenders by MAC so they can still grab a map or web page or two but
probably won't want an extended browsing session at 2400 baud
connection speeds.  Or provide selective inline image replacement, a
portal with a signup page and access prices listed (real or not), or
some other nagging treat for abusers. Depends on how much fun and
theater you want to make, and how much work you want to make.

Danozano - Shop.23b.org