[hackerspaces] Insurance Recommendations for a US-based space?

john arclight arclight at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 18:12:35 CEST 2009

Hi Mitch,

I started by calling my car insurance guy, and got a referral to an agent he
trusts for commercial work.  What it came down to, was that we had to come
up with a way of explaining what it is that we do and then sell it to an
insurance carrier.  In our case, we put pictures of the robot kits we build
up, built a web site around it and then also described all of the activities
we do there (light industrial work, computer programming, some welding,
etc).  We're a small group and not usually bringing in big youth groups or
whatever, so our needs might be slightly different than some others.

Our insurance was around $1300/year for the space and some limited completed
products liability coverage.  The space is a bit over 1,000ft^2.

I'm not sure what state you're in, but I can give you a contact if you'd
like.

Cheers,

John