[hackerspaces-theory] ping

Dr. Glass DPM glass.dpm at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 13:25:15 CET 2012

Now we are talking true "theory".  I honestly don't know how hackerspaces could garner more professional interest.  I've had this discussion before, with many people and I few consistent points are raised:

1. "You mean actual Hackers?" Yes, the name is often something that people are a little afraid of.  Hackers are not usually portrayed well and the name is a little intimidating.  Makerspace or techspace is a little more family friendly of a name.

2. hackerspace spawned corporate startups may do better to handle funding and contracts better than a stand alone hackerspace for management and leadership reasons (hiring, firing, accounting, etc.)

3. Charity work is nothing to be ashamed of.  Freeside Atlanta is involved in many non-profit community activities.  It may not be institutional research, but it may still be a viable publishing opportunity for "applied social services".

In my case, a member of Freeside contacted me in the Makerbot forums in reply to me asking advice.  He offered to show me around Freeside so I suppose its up the hackerspaces to offer assistance.

Who knows,
Nick

Sent via mobile