[sudoroom] Higher Ed Hacking

Max B maxb.personal at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 21:30:16 CET 2013

Hey all,

Most of you probably don't really know me--I've only been by sudoroom on
occasion, but I wanted to put this out there and see if anyone else
would be interested:

Last fall I sat in on a few CS classes at UC Berkeley. I've always been
kind of a half-assed programmer and I realized that if I ever wanted to
be more serious about it, there were some gaps in my knowledge base that
needed filling in. So last semester I sat in on "EE 122 Networking", "CS
61C Machine Structures", and "CS 161 Computer Security". It turns out
that without actually ever really having to come into contact with any
professor, I was able to coordinate with TAs in these classes and
participate in all of the labs, do all of the homeworks, and do all of
the projects (albeit they were group projects I was doing by
myself....). I never had to apply, register, pay or deal with any of the
other administrative BS that normally accompanies higher ed.

I'm planning on sitting in on a few more classes this semester and
wanted to see if anyone else was interested. So far I'm thinking "CS 162
Operating Systems and System Programming", and "CS 164 Programming
Languages and Compilers." The full class schedule is available here:

http://schedule.berkeley.edu/

I would also be super excited if anyone was interested in the classes I
took last semester and I could help guide them through the process of
coordinating with TAs and also potentially be a tutor. Also, UCB offers
classes in all sorts of fields, so perhaps that
sociology/chemistry/physics/anthropology/dance class you've always been
thinking about getting around to?

Max