[sudoroom] Sudo Room Endorsement Proposal

Eddan Katz eddan at eddan.com
Thu Nov 29 21:21:59 CET 2012

The subject of Sudo Room endorsements came up at the meeting last night.
There were two main scenarios that have been discussed and it would be
great if a session at the UnConference was dedicated to coming to some
agreement on it.

Regarding the issue of whether or not there is enough support in the
crowd for listing external events on our calendar or similar situation,
I proposed in the thread below using the Compact minimum number of 23
affirmative gestures of support -
http://lists.hackerspaces.org/pipermail/sudoroom/2012-August/000682.html.

    I also think sudo room should sign on to this Internet Declaration as an
    organization. Problem is that we do not yet even officially exist (see
    http://lists.hackerspaces.org/pipermail/sudoroom/2012-July/000618.html)
    and have not yet agreed on a decision-making process for announcements
    or endorsements (see
    http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/Sudo_room/Compact#Sub-Section_3.0.1_Agenda). I
    propose we follow di Franco's brilliant suggestion for deciding to
    endorse as a group by the same methodology as the minimum threshold for
    the Compact. We have somewhat arbitrarily set that number at 23
    (http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/Sudo_room/Compact#Ratification). So if we
    get at least that number of folks replying +1 (on or off-list, as you
    prefer) and no objections to endorsement (substantive or procedural) by
    6pm on Fri. (~30 hrs. from now), I propose we sign on officially as sudo
    room sometime during the schedule of events at Art Murmur.

Regarding the other scenario where there are objections to the
invitation of a particular speaker or similar circumstances. There
should be some agreed upon process for making those objections, either
as a member or group of members, that makes sense and avoids the
slippery slide to having personal conflicts over such things. With
everybody getting a chance to be heard without fear of repercussion,
this consensus process could facilitate the formation of transparent
norms and shared values, rather than causing rifts between members.