[sudoroom] intro and an offer

Derek Jacoby derekja at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 23:44:42 CET 2012

Hi,

My name is Derek Jacoby. I'm nominally based in Victoria, BC, but in
mid-December I'll be moving a boat into the San Leandro marina that
I'll be spending some time on. Which puts me into your neighborhood!

I run a biohackerspace in victoria called biospace.ca, and help run
our local hackerspace makerspace.ca. I also helped set up the
BioCurious lab and taught the first couple courses there.

My background is mostly in computers, I worked at Microsoft research
for years on speech recognition before leaving the corporate word to
return to a PhD program. Sine then I've done a bunch of synthetic
biology and bioinformatics.

I'd love to help get Sudo Room up and running on some biohacking! At a
recent mycology convention I ran into some other Oakland folks that
need a place to start some mushrooms, too.

Check out the classes at biospace.ca. If you'd all be interested in
doing a class on creating your first genetically modified organism let
me know! Or any of the other classes, of course.

I'm sure I can find sufficient equipment to borrow to make the class work.

Look forward to meeting you all!

--Derek