[sudoroom] [IMPORTANT] Interim Governance Structure + Meeting Change in July

Matthew Senate mattsenate at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 08:30:14 CEST 2012

Howdy all,

Next Weds is July 4th, doesn't seem like a good time to meet (especially if
you want to come to my BBQ at 359 bellevue at 2pm ;). Also, Jenny found out
that Mondays evenings are available in the new space's "classroom" (already
reserved for us). How about we try for Monday the 9th? If this doesn't
work, we can always fall into Weds July 11th.

You may have seen in the minutes that the folks who made it to the meeting
this week put some thought and work into coming up with a way to move
forward on decision-making, on governance structure, in a form such as
By-Laws for at least the beginning of our little group. The basic premise
is to start with a draft, as Victoria has graciously provided and started
to workshop already with folks at the meeting (see below).

We will be reviewing, changing, and drafting this proposed structure (which
isn't ready yet) until our next meeting on MONDAY JUNE 9TH, when we'll have
a vote for this interim solution. We will also have a vote online starting
at the end of that meeting (when minutes are available) for everyone who
couldn't make it, which will terminate the following SUNDAY JULY 15TH. The
goal is to strive for consensus, but we did create a minimum standard for
approving such a structure: at least 2/3 of those present at meeting AND at
least 1/2 of online vote.

Editable Draft is here (and a copy is below):
http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/Sudo_room/Governance_Structure
Discuss here:
http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/Talk:Sudo_room/Governance_Structure

// Matt

--

Ok, so how's this for a starting simple draft....
Based on "Consensus Decision Making w/ Consensus

*Premise:* A decision needs to be made.
*Step 1:* Discuss at large in the group (with a time limit, and/or feedback
can be gathered online instead of taking in-person meeting time)
*Step 2:* A Council takes this "raw material" and generates a proposal
*Step 3:* The Council puts the proposal to the group for amendments &
voting. We can do majority vote or total consensus. If the vote is a "no",
the Council goes back and drafts another proposal.
*End Result:* A decision is made

*Note A: *The "Council" could be comprised of elected representatives (or
volunteers, or super-volunteers). TBD.
*Note B: *I'm seeing that the tool of "blocking" can be used in consensus
voting, but some groups think of it more as a nuclear option (hence the
opportunity to offer amendments and give feedback). This is something else
for us to figure out.