[sudoroom] Draft decision model: let's figure it out!

Victoria Bogdan bogdan.victoria at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 23:19:03 CEST 2012

Hi Sudos,

As we all know, the time is nigh to develop a way to make decisions. And
decide we must on these important first steps! :) Afterall, we still need
to figure out *membership, governance*, *bylaws, *and many more things.

After our consensus talks over the past few weeks I figured, what the heck,
let me put a *draft *set of guidelines out there so that the group has
something to respond to. Maybe we can debate this and hack it out on
Wednesday?

And please note: there is a burdgeoning discussion on the Sudo Wiki about
how other hackerspaces run their business
here<http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/Sudo_room/research>
.

Ok, so how's this for a starting simple draft....
Based on "Consensus Decision Making w/ Consensus
Blocking<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consensus_decision-making#Consensus_decision-making_with_consensus_blocking>"
, the short of it would be:

*Premise:* A decision needs to be made.
*Step 1:* Discuss at large in the group (with a time limit, and/or feedback
can be gathered online instead of taking in-person meeting time)
*Step 2:* A Council takes this "raw material" and generates a proposal
*Step 3:* The Council puts the proposal to the group for amendments &
voting. We can do majority vote or total consensus. If the vote is a "no",
the Council goes back and drafts another proposal.
*End Result:* A decision is made

*Note A: *The "Council" could be comprised of elected representatives (or
volunteers, or super-volunteers). TBD.
*Note B: *I'm seeing that the tool of "blocking" can be used in consensus
voting, but some groups think of it more as a nuclear option (hence the
opportunity to offer amendments and give feedback). This is something else
for us to figure out.

<http://victoriabogdan.com>