[sudoroom] My Intro

Patrik D'haeseleer patrikd at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 00:31:50 CEST 2012

Welcome, Dan!

Guess I should really do an intro as well...

My name is Patrik D'haeseleer. The name is Flemish (or phlegmish,
depending on who tries to pronounce it), but I've been in the US for
about 20 years now.

I have a background in Electrical Engineering, which I haven't really
done much with for quite a while, and which I'm slowly reawakening
now. I'm a scientist by profession - I do bioinformatic analysis of
bacterial genomes and communities at Lawrence Livermore and at the
Joint BioEnergy Institute in Emeryville. After hours, I coordinate the
community projects at BioCurious, where we're growing glow-in-the-dark
algae, engineering bioluminescence into E. coli and plants, and are
building a bioprinter to 3D print biological structures.

Right now, I'm teaching myself molecular biology, Arduino software and
hardware, robotics, and leatherworking. Love going to street fairs,
Renn Faires, Maker Faires, open studio weekends, steampunk, and
anything related to fire.

Guiding principle: less talk, more hacking!

Patrik