[sudoroom] meeting minutes

Matthew Senate mattsenate at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 07:17:17 CEST 2012

*6/13/2012 - Meeting Notes*

*Marginalia -*

   - Sudo Dollars. It's. Not. Funnymoney.

   - Ecstatic Dance! is a block away from the new space!
   http://ecstaticdance.org/

   - Concilience - The unity of all knowledge, so we can all be free (from
   Troy)

   - follow @gonzooakland

*Attending:*
Eddan, Troy, Matt, Jenny, Eddie, Victoria, Marina, Marc, Rudiger, Tracy,
Rachel, Phil, Richard

*Agenda:*

   - Intros

   - updates

   - report back from FBI diy bio conference

   - http://diyhpl.us/wiki/transcripts/fbi-diybio-2012/  - transcripts

   - 2-Day DIY Bio Conference held by FBI (they for some reason think this
   is critical, you should read about it online)

   - Very small community right, so it's great to have the funds available
   in order to bring everyone together.

   - However, it's odd since it's the FBI

   - One take-away: need to be better about communicating, the mailing list
   is not enough.

   - Another take-away: FBI is creepy?

   - Curiosity won for Rudiger, so he came, though he was hesitant at first.

   - Setting up a system of recuiting informants / spying on 'potentially
   dangerous' diybiologists

   - Discussion of tax structures (eddan)

   - B-corp - social responsibility / social good [sidenote-
   couchsurfing.org is a b-corp]

   - Space Recapitulation

   - Eddan acted out of own risk and volition to rent a few spaces (3)
   because one we viewed was already being rented.

   - Small Office (Orange closet)

   - Box Office

   - Double Office

   - Tracy thinks it's amazing!

   - having events

   - making people aware

   - opportunities for people

   - letting it evolve without making a huge investment

   - fun neighborhood is important

   - $875mo for all three.

   - Report from Hackermoms talk on Ways to Build a Hackerspace

   - Nonprofit route requires a board of directors who are legally
   responsible for any legal problems.

   - Maker Faire had a sub-event called "SpaceCamp" a sort of hackerspace
   convention.

   - Also met a woman at Hackermoms who wants to host a ecstatic dance
   (lunch break?)

   - Roots are supposed in Sufi - but it's just a bunch of hippies at like
   a 'Dead' show.

   - SchoolFactory is an umbrella/support 501(c)3 non-profit organization
   to support creating new hackerspaces.

   - Many are non-profit, fiscally sponsored by a non-profit, or
   "benevelent dictatorship" private entities

   - Many spaces also get a lot of income through donations (important,
   otherwise we have overlooked this a bit beyond crowdfunding)

   - Metrix - for-profit, worth looking

   - Time-based membership is an option.

   - Larger question of membership terms and options. Also, what about
   visiting and temporary memberships.

   - Membership could be defined as 24/7 access, versus limited.

   - Desirable to have 6-1 membe-to-non-member ratio. Info from BucketWorks

   - Critical for making $ but also keeping the community into it!

   - Workshop attendence could also be discounted free for members as a
   service or benefit, etc.

   - Side-note: Hackermoms interested in making $$ off of workshop. Need
   money, they work but get no $. Would appreciate it.

   - Deciding whether their income model for workshops should be central or
   to the workshop runner. Hackermoms thinking about a fraction.

   - They want an algorithm.

   - Eddan discusses separating the membership part to the money-making part

   - Membership Agreements that people sign has been a good idea, helps
   negotiate issues with insurance

   - Action item: create page for these documents to live on
   hackerspaces.org

   - Action Item: also add to our research page including boilerplate
   insurance liability document and analyzing the terms in it.

   - Defining what it is we stand for first is core, then to teach those
   processes to eachother and to new people, and to live the culture and
   exemplify it!

   - further to measure how we are living up to our own cultural standards,
   and to reward ourselves for doing so?

   - event announcements

   - consensus workshop! next week, facilitated by Rachel

   - Rachel wants to share her experience to help Sudo Room come up with
   the sudo room way together.

   - Addicted to Hierarchy

   -

   - Wikiwomen Edit-A-Thon 2 this Saturday!!
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/San_Francisco_WikiWomen%27s_Edit-a-Thon_2

   - Saturday 1-6 Re-defining the General Assembly with Occupy Oakland,
   Oscar Grant Plaza.

   - Code for America Summer Code Party and #OAhack track with keynote John
   Wilbanks http://cfasummercodeparty.eventbrite.com/ - June 23rd

   - #NewsHack event same weekend as CfA Summer Code Party
   http://newshack.eventbrite.com/

   - Adeline Campfire June 29th!! Marc, Rachel & Jenny's tiny commune
   backyard campfire @ 2704 Adeline St

   - Workshop weekend June 30 - July 1 - http://workshopweekend.net/

   - Code for Oakland - July 21st - The Kaiser Center in Oakland,
   http://codeforoakland.org

   - Decision-making process (13 minutes)

   - Action items:

   - Process for setting decision items for agenda beforehand

   - Implement two-email-list solution (announce vs discuss)

   - Concrete place and time for meeting for next week.

   - Concrete space for participating virtually

   - the space!

   - The space

   - event proposals for future

   - first friday art walk (participatory bash!?)

   - Ecstatic Dance in the "classroom" space - Venus.

   - DIY / home recording workshop (by matt's roommate Shani)

*Notes:*

First Friday Art Walk Event! Who wants to submit art! Tracy does, Rachel
has a crew!

*Groups*:

   - Due Diligence and More Spaces: http://hackerspaces.crowdmap.com/

   - Wiki Usage

   - info architecture

   - Bio Grouph

   - Currency

Tabled Items

   - sudoroom internship possibility (/MK) (table this)

   - Insurance at another time.