[sudoroom] Fwd: #OAhack Hackathon for Everyone June 23rd at Code for America!

Matthew Senate mattsenate at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 23:33:16 CEST 2012

For general + wide distribution:

Register now: http://cfasummercodeparty.eventbrite.com/
June 23rd One-Day #OAhack day Track with guest Keynote John Wilbanks!!!
Join us at Code for America on June 23rd for an all-day Summer Code Party
taking place as part of a Mozilla Webmaker event with Open Government, Open
Data, and other creative folks!

The Details:

Join us at Code for America on June 23 for an all-day summer code party as
part of Mozilla Webmaker<https://wiki.mozilla.org/Webmaker>! Mozilla
Webmaker is a new program to help people everywhere make, learn, and play
using the open building blocks of the web. The goal is to help millions of
people move from using the web to making the web. With new tools to use,
projects to create, and events to join, we want to help the people increase
their understanding of the web, take greater control of their online lives,
and leverage the power of the open web to improve government, science, and
education.

 How this will work:

 *   Our day will begin with a brief presentation by John Wilbanks, a
leader in the Open Science community, about the importance of the open web
for science, education and innovation.
 *   We'll form groups to work on open data, open government, and open
access problem sets using open source tools.
 *   We'll present challenges to choose from, including a series of "open
access hacks" a few of our fellows have been participating in, and we
encourage you to bring ideas or form teams in advance.

We'll have breakfast, plenty of coffee and lunch generously provided by
Mozilla.

Coders, designers, journalists, students, data scientists, policy experts,
and anyone else is welcome!

Let's build.

About our speaker:

John Wilbanks currently runs the Consent to Research project (CtR), a
massive clinical research study in which people take the data they can
gather about their own health and donate it for computational analysis. I’m
also one of the founders of the Access2Research petition. As part of CtR,
he is a Senior Fellow in Entrepreneurship at the Ewing Marion Kauffman
Foundation, a Research Fellow at Lybba, and supported by Sage Bionetworks.

John has worked at Harvard’s Berkman Center for Internet & Society, the
World Wide Web Consortium, the US House of Representatives, and most
recently Creative Commons. For six years his desk was graciously hosted in
MIT’s Project on Mathematics and Computation, and he also started a
bioinformatics company called Incellico, which is now part of Selventa.
John also sits on the Board of Directors for Sage Bionetworks and iCommons,
as well as the Advisory Boards for Boundless Learning, Genomic Arts, and
Genomera.

// Matt