[sudoroom] Internet Defense League

Eddan Katz eddan at oaklandlocal.com
Fri Jun 1 05:10:24 CEST 2012

I don't know anyone from the staff (http://fightforthefuture.org/#staff)
of Fight for the Future, but i imagine someone amongst us might.

I think they explain themselves quite well on the site and I've copied
and pasted their explanation from their front page below and there is
also a discussion on Reddit at http://www.reddit.com/r/internetdefense.
I think that what they're doing in terms of the infrastructure for a
network is fantastic, as long as it's transparent. Maybe this could be
the Internet public sphere that serves as a check on the captured Fourth
Estate mainstream media.

I'd be curious to know how their non-profit advisers methodology would
work on controversial issues though. Would there be something about
which the connected websites might not agree? For a sense of what
they've acted on so far - check out the projects at
http://fightforthefuture.org/.

The third rail for coalitions of Internet libertarians and progressives
that constitutes this Internet public sphere is Net Neutrality. Public
Knowledge & EFF split positions on how best to implement Net Neutrality
principles, specifically regarding the regulatory power of the FCC.

I think the participation of individual and collective hackerspaces in
this coalition could serve an important purpose in those situations. So
I'd be in favor of Sudo Room listing some page on sudoroom.com and/or on
one of our social media identities with this database.

    The Internet Blackout was just the beginning. Together, our websites
    and personal networks can mobilize the planet to defend the internet
    from bad laws & monopolies. Are you in?

    Beyond the blackout
    The Internet Defense League takes the tactic that killed SOPA
    & PIPA and turns it into a permanent force for defending the
    internet, and making it better. Think of it like the internet's
    Emergency Broadcast System, or its bat signal!

    The Problem
    Internet freedom and individual power are changing the course of
    history. But entrenched institutions and monopolies want this to
    stop. Elected leaders often don't understand the internet, so
    they're easily confused or corrupted.

    The plan
    When the internet's in danger and we need millions of people to act,
    the League will ask its members to broadcast an action.  (Say, a
    prominent message asking everyone to call their elected leaders.)
    With the combined reach of our websites and social networks, we can
    be massively more effective than any one organization.

    How it works
    First, sign up.  If you have a website, we'll send you sample alert
    code to get working in advance.  The next time there's an emergency,
    we'll tell you and send new code.  Then it's your decision to pull
    the trigger.

    Targets
    We'll keep in close touch with groups like the EFF andPublic
    Knowledge to identify threats and opportunities. We've also got a
    subreddit. This will get formalized more soon, but for now we're
    definitely targeting ACTA in June and CISPA as it re-emerges in the
    Senate.