[sudoroom] Ferro Fluids Sudo Project group

Patrik D'haeseleer patrikd at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 07:59:27 CEST 2012

I've seen that FeCl3 based recipe in a few other places. This may be the
original source: http://www.sci-spot.com/Chemistry/liqimag.htm

You definitely don't need all the fancy lab equipment, just some measuring
cups and an old pot to boil the stuff in. You do need to boil off a lot of
ammonia - probably not something you'd want to do indoors.

Electromagnets are everywhere - any electrical motor has electromagnets
inside, and you can always wind one yourself with some copper wire around
an iron core, like a nail. I've got some small DC motors in the Sudoroom
locker at TechLiminal that we can scavenge for small magnets and
electromagnets.

Patrik