[sudoroom] Ferro Fluids Sudo Project group

Patrik D'haeseleer patrikd at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 10:12:32 CEST 2012

I could do Wednesday or Friday - prefer Wednesday. I can bring my small
sample of cemmercial ferrofluid for comparison with the DIY versions.

Does anyone have access to oleic acid to use as a surfactant? That should
keep the ferrite particles from clumping together, and make for a much
smoother ferrofluid. Supposed to be around 5% magnetite (3-15% by volume),
10% surfactant (6-30%), and 85% oil (55-91%).

Someone on Instructables mentioned you can also get ferrite at a pottery
supply store for $2-$5 a pound. Know anyone into pottery? Anyone want to
check out Leslie Ceramic Supply, 1212 San Pablo in Berkeley, just North of
Gilman?

In terms of art pieces, I think it would be really cool to do an animated
sculpture covered in ferrofluid, with electromagnets hidden inside so you
can change the texture of the ferrofluid. The simplest version could just
be a face molded out of aluminum foil, with small magnets embedded to get
the ferrofluid to cover the surface. Then put some electromagnets behind
the face, so you can change its expression by manipulating the ferrofluid.

Patrik