[sudoroom] July Rent: Inversion of a Ponzi Scheme?

Eddan Katz eddan at oaklandlocal.com
Tue Jul 3 02:32:00 CEST 2012

At the decision-making in-gathering last week, it was decided not to
make a decision about existing Sudo Room fund-raising income to be used
to pay rent at 2135 Broadway, at this time. The rationale being that
we've had a hard enough time making a decision about how to make
decisions that the process should probably not be complicated any
further. I applaud our resilience of deliberation, but then there is the
matter of July rent.

I would like to propose something not on behalf of Sudo Room officially,
but that I hope will help us accomplish our goals, at this time. The
rent due for July for the "Box Office" and "Orange Closet" amounts to
$575. Since the "box office" will be central to our Art Murmur happening
and the "orange closet" continues to be filled in our obsolete
technology drive, I wanted to ask the good Sudo folk on this list to
pitch in for that amount. Tracy already gave me $40 last week and Marc
publicly announced his willingness to give me $60 on-list. I want to
make sure that everyone is clear about the fact that if you would like
to give me money at any time, you are most welcome to. I have accounts
with most mobile and online payment providers, if that makes it any easier.

But in terms of the $575 for July rent at 2135 Broadway, I wanted to
continue in our straw poll practice of gauging how many people would be
willing to chip in. If you're willing to go in together on rent for the
space in July, please reply to this email with a +1 (to me and/or the
list). By 6pm on Friday (the start of Art Murmur), I will ask these
voluntary contributors to give me $575 divided by the number of people
willing to volunteer. Needless to say - the higher the number of people
contributing, the lower the contribution amount. If the number of
contributors results in a sum too steep for any volunteer in particular,
the Art Murmur event could be an opportunity to draw in others to cover
that amount.

This contribution does not constitute membership in Sudo Room, nor does
it enable special voting power, the use of a shelf, or a free t-shirt. I
was hoping though to get some help to display a running list of the
names of contributors against one of the walls at 2135 Broadway on
Friday. If someone objects to the use of this list to solicit July rent
for and/or to the display of the names of this group on the wall, please
speak up and/or use the anonymous Sudo pages to voice your concerns.

-Eddan
[self-appointed exchequer]