[sudoroom] World Fair Use Day

Eddan Katz eddan at oaklandlocal.com
Sat Apr 14 00:09:46 CEST 2012

I don't know if any of you are familiar with Public Knowledge (http://publicknowledge.org/) - very effective digital rights non-profit DC lobby. I just noticed that they're having their now 3rd annual World Fair Use Day (http://worldsfairuseday.org/) on May 4 - same day as the Kickraiser.

Setting aside the fact that they chose a legal doctrine unique to the United States for the name of their creativity & innovation "day" intended to be global - they've picked up some support for this over the years. Also don't mind the fact that FUD - fear, uncertainty, and doubt - is not the association these folks would presumably want to make with flexibility in copyright law, but its a nice effort. [Anyhoo.]

I was wondering what folks' initial reaction would be to connecting the Kickraiser to this 'day.' The benefits could be both monetary in terms of sponsorship, etc. - and reputational, in suggesting differentiating Sudo Room from other similar initiatives in regards to awareness of &/or engagement in technology policy. The downsides are already mentioned above.