[SpaceProgram] Space Apps Challenge entry -- Autonomous Micromaneuverable Recreational Unit (AMRU)

Paul Szymkowiak paulszym at gmail.com
Wed May 18 12:36:52 CEST 2016

Hi Michael,

I think this is the link to the specific project:

https://2016.spaceappschallenge.org/challenges/mars/space-recreation/projects/autonomous-micromaneuverable-recreational-unit-amru

I agree - it's interesting. I can envisage it being created in iterations/
sprints (cycles), with a basic minimal viable product/ prototype
established with something simple like pong or tic-tac-toe, and then
expanded in subsequent cycles.

I expect a first build might use a desk or ceiling mounted unit with a
number of lasers attached to servos or micro-steppers, enabling each laser
to move to multiple target points..

Another version might make use of a game field bounded by a set of marker
poles cut at an optimum height with an individual laser and multiple servo
configuration.

I can envisage a further extension using a drone-based approach, utilizing
an esp8266 (or equivalent) module with laser(s), a servo(s), and
powersource. The ESP8266 would allow for more complex game logic to be
managed off-board and translated to a simple set of basic commands sent
over the wifi network in real-time to the unit. This extension would enable
a movement dynamic similar to that in a low-G/ weightless environment to be
replicated.

To help deal with potential power-to-weight and power-management
challenges, the previously described game field bounded by marker poles
could be extended to contain charging-station platforms, enabling the drone
to take up various stationary positions around the field or enable the use
of multiple drones to simulate multiple AMRU's, conserving motor (and
power) use, reducing noise and enabling in-game charging for
longer-running, more complex games.

Paul

Paul "Zee" Szymkowiak