[SpaceProgram] Call for ESA Summer of Code in Space 2016! ESA awards stipends of €4000 to selected students (please Forward)

Constellation constellation at aerospaceresearch.net
Tue May 3 19:22:08 CEST 2016

Call for ESA Summer of Code in Space 2016! ESA awards stipends of €4000 to
selected students (please Forward)

The fourth year in a row, AerospaceResearch.net[0] is proud to be selected
as an official mentoring organization for the Summer of Code in Space 2016
(SOCIS) program run by the European Space Agency (ESA).
And we are now looking for students to spend their summers coding on great
space software, getting paid €4000 by ESA, releasing scientific papers
about their projects and supporting the open-source space community.

Until 15 May 2016, students can apply for an hands on experience with
applied space programs. With a project by the Institute for Photogrammetry
(IFP) at the University of Stuttgart, we are offering you various coding
work[1] on:

* The Distributed Ground Station Network - global tracking and
communication with small-satellites[2]
* or your very own proposal!

If you are a student, take your giant leap into the space community and the
chance to be recognized by ESA headhunters.
If you are professor, feel free to propose this great opportunity to your
students or even have your projects being coded and realized!

During the last years, we mentored more than 20 students during Summer of
Code campaigns[4] and now, we have released several papers, spent computing
power worth 60,000 PCs to those students projects[2] and even helping their
bachelor theses, and we had been on plenary stage with Canadian astronaut
Chris Hadfield to promote those projects during the International
Astronautical Congress 2014 in Toronto. We want to repeat that success, and
now it's your turn.

Apply today, find all projects including ours on the ESA SOCIS webpage![1]
We are waiting for you,

Andreas Hornig, Head of Platform

[0] http://aerospaceresearch.net/index.php/2016/05/03/esasocis2016
[1] http://sophia.estec.esa.int/socis2016/
[2] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC4Ls3AGHf4
[3] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY0vjbBp4eg
[4]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkklxZxjT-8&list=PL-lXf3kTWgqybFL-VOmVxKyjnrVPE7DBB

Feel free to forward this email to whomever you think it may concern!

### More Information ###

# About ESA Summer of Code in Space (SOCIS):
SOCIS "aims at offering student developers stipends to write code for
various space-related open source software projects. Through SOCIS,
accepted student applicants are paired with a mentor or mentors from the
participating projects, thus gaining exposure to real-world software
development scenarios. In turn, the participating projects are able to more
easily identify and bring in new developers."[1]

# About AerospaceResearch.net:
We are a DGLR young academics group at the University of Stuttgart for
aerospace related simulations applying distributed computing. Our global
citizen scientists community of 15,000 users are donating their idle
computing time of 60,000 computers and forming a virtual super computer
connected via the Internet. And this massive network is used for solving
difficult space numerics or for sensor applications. We are bringing space
down to Earth and supporting the space community from students to
organizations.[0]

# Distributed Ground Station Network [DGSN]:
The Distributed Ground Station Network is a system for tracking and
communication with small satellites and other aerial vehicles. The concept
includes a global network of small and cheap ground stations that track
beacon signals sent by the satellite, plane or balloon. The ground stations
are located at ordinary people at home, so called citizen scientists, and
are connected via the Internet. A broadcasted beacon signal is received by
at least 5 stations and can be used then for trilateration to obtain the
position of the signal's origin. For this each ground station correlates
the received signal with the precise reception time, which is globally
provided  and synchronized by GPS. This shall help small satellite provider
and even Google's Loon project to be able to track their vehicles fast,
globally and simple!