[SpaceProgram] Call for ESA Summer of Code in Space 2015! ESA awards stipends of €4000 to selected students (please forward!)

Constellation constellation at aerospaceresearch.net
Wed Mar 11 19:39:39 CET 2015

The third year in a row, AerospaceResearch.net[0] is proud to be selected
as an official mentoring organization for the Summer of Code in Space 2014
(SOCIS) program run by the European Space Agency (ESA).
And we are now looking for students to spend their summers coding on great
space software, getting paid €4000 by ESA, releasing scientific papers
about their projects and supporting the open-source space community.

Until 30 April 2015, students can apply for an hands on experience with
applied space programs. Together with the Cosmic Dust Group of the
Institute of Space Systems (IRS) at the University of Stuttgart, we are
offering you various coding work[1] on:

* The Distributed Ground Station Network - global tracking and
communication with small-satellites[2]
* The Comet Trails - cometary dust streams in space (part if the ESA IMEX
program)[3]
* your very own proposal!

If you are a student, take your giant leap into the space community and the
chance to be recognized by ESA headhunters.
If you are professor, feel free to propose this great opportunity to your
students or even have your projects being coded and realized!

Last year, we mentored 5 students during Summer of Code campaigns[4] and
now, we have released several papers, spent computing power worth 60,000
PCs to those students projects and even helping their bachelor theses, and
we had been on plenary stage with Canadian astronaut Chris Hadfield to
promote those projects during the International Astronautical Congress 2014
in Toronto. We want to repeat that success, and now it's your turn.
Apply today, find all projects on the ESA SOCIS webpage![1]

We are waiting for you,

Andreas Hornig, Head of Platform

[0] http://constellation.aerospaceresearch.net
[1] http://sophia.estec.esa.int/socis2015/
[2] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC4Ls3AGHf4
[3] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY0vjbBp4eg
[4]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkklxZxjT-8&list=PL-lXf3kTWgqybFL-VOmVxKyjnrVPE7DBB

Feel free to forward this email to whomever you think it may concern!

### More Information ###

# About ESA Summer of Code in Space (SOCIS):
SOCIS "aims at offering student developers stipends to write code for
various space-related open source software projects. Through SOCIS,
accepted student applicants are paired with a mentor or mentors from the
participating projects, thus gaining exposure to real-world software
development scenarios. In turn, the participating projects are able to more
easily identify and bring in new developers."[1]

# About AerospaceResearch.net:
We are a DGLR young academics group at the University of Stuttgart for
aerospace related simulations applying distributed computing. Our global
citizen scientists community of 15,000 users are donating their idle
computing time of 60,000 computers and forming a virtual super computer
connected via the Internet. And this massive network is used for solving
difficult space numerics or for sensor applications. We are bringing space
down to Earth and supporting the space community from students to
organizations.[0]

# Comet Trails with Cosmic Dust Group (IRS/ University of Stuttgart):
The Interplanetary Meteoroid Environment for Exploration (IMEX) is an
ESA-funded project run at the Institute of Space Systems (IRS, University
of Stuttgart), which involves development of a model for predicting the
spacecraft impact hazard presented by dust grains in meteoroid streams.
Most Jupiter-family comets have cometary trails, caused by dust released
during that most recent passage of each comet near the Sun. The risk to
spacecraft is a result of potentially high fluxes combined with high impact
speeds (of up to 70-80 km/s) with respect to the spacecraft. >>
www.irs.uni-stuttgart.de/cosmicdust

# Distributed Ground Station Network [DGSN]:
The Distributed Ground Station Network is a system for tracking and
communication with small satellites and other aerial vehicles. The concept
includes a global network of small and cheap ground stations that track
beacon signals sent by the satellite, plane or balloon. The ground stations
are located at ordinary people at home, so called citizen scientists, and
are connected via the Internet. A broadcasted beacon signal is received by
at least 5 stations and can be used then for trilateration to obtain the
position of the signal's origin. For this each ground station correlates
the received signal with the precise reception time, which is globally
provided  and synchronized by GPS. This shall help small satellite provider
and even Google's Loon project to be able to track their vehicles fast,
globally and simple!