[SpaceProgram] Seasteading crossover options

Lee von Kraus leevonk at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 03:32:16 CEST 2012

The best book out there for seasteading is "sailing the farm". I just
bought a used copy 2 weeks ago for around $60 (not published anymore). As
far as I know the guy that wrote it is partnering with the founder of Ebay
in heading the Seasteading Institute. There is a lot of crossover with
spacesteading in the [sustainable food in a small space] realm and maybe a
little in the engineering realm too.

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 6:44 PM, cole santos <cksantos85 at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> cycle habitat. RV, container, whatever. It should double as a mobile
> makerspace (tooling, advanced manufacturing, etc).
>
> 3. Scale up and move the land based technologies into the ocean and sub
> ocean. This serves to weatherize/ air proof/ etc our technologies.
>
> 4. Stage four is gravity proofing. Zero G pumping, vibration, liquid air
> separation, temp swing, and many other problems are then solved
> and integrated into existing open source products.
>
>  This is a big step, from here we bring sustainable biopod hackerspaces to
> space.
>
> On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 11:55 AM, Felix Hamilton <fhamilton at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Even better than a closed cycle boat (from a ground up perspective) might
>> be doing a cut at a closed cycle RV/modular trailer system. Not only would
>> it be quite cheap to put together from the ground up, but it could be moved
>> around easily for collaborative and experimental purposes ... There is lots
>> of crossover here with various sustainable living research areas, so it
>> could be a very useful and low overhead way to get something hackerish
>> going ...
>>

>>> Message: 3
>>> Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 10:05:40 -1000
>>> From: cole santos <cksantos85 at gmail.com>
>>> To: railmeat at gmail.com, Hackerspaces Space Program communication list
>>>         <spaceprogram at lists.hackerspaces.org>
>>> Subject: Re: [SpaceProgram] Project Management, Starships, and the
>>>         Failure of Modern Physics - YouTube
>>>
>>> Sea-steading crossover would be in certain systems. Sustainable habitat
>>> design with a small footprint, waste management, food production, and
>>> small
>>> scale replication of industrial processes. If you look at their website
>>> their goal is to be independent of land based infrastructure. As an avid
>>> diver, I can tell you that the underwater environment is about as close
>>> weightlessness as you can get. The issues of decompression, bends, and
>>> other pressure sicknesses apply in space as much as underwater. Thier
>>> habitats must be water proof, and if its water proof its air proof. Think
>>> about a sail boat. How long can you last without going ashore for fuel
>>> and
>>> water, dumping waste(assuming you dont use the ocean as a dumping ground,
>>> hence the sustainble part)? One stepwise goal could be to design a close
>>> cycle boat for 1 man and send him around for a while. Initial projects
>>> could be aspects of that entire system. Toilets, waste processing, micro
>>> showers, food production systems, air handling systems, ect. You would
>>> need
>>> to process waste, capture water, control atmosphere, do hydroponics, ect
>>> in
>>> space and seasteaders would need similar tech. This would allow us to
>>> test
>>> habitat level 1 tech readiness technology without the cost of booting it
>>> space. First test on ground, then at sea, then in space. NASA does the