[SpaceProgram] Article: 50 Years of the Jetsons: Why The Show Still Matters | Paleofuture

Alex alexcg at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 02:51:42 CEST 2012

Interesting read to see how the Jetsons motivated people about space and the future.

Quote from the article:
This nostalgia for the futurism of yesteryear has very real consequences for the way that we talk about ourselves as a nation. So many people today talk about how divided we are as a country and that we no longer dream “like we used to.” But when we look at things like public approval of the Apollo space program in the 1960s, those myths of national unity begin to dissolve. Public approval of funding for the Apollo program peaked at 53 percent (around the first moon landing) but pretty much hovered between 35-45 percent for most of the 1960s. Why is there a misconception today about Americans being more supportive of the space program? Because an enormous generation called Baby Boomers were kids in the 1960s; kids playing astronaut and watching shows like “The Jetsons”; kids who were bombarded with images of a bright, shiny future and for whom the world was much simpler because they saw everything through the eyes of a child.

50 Years of the Jetsons: Why The Show Still Matters | Paleofuture
http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/paleofuture/2012/09/50-years-of-the-jetsons-why-the-show-still-matters/

Sent via Flipboard

Alex Cureton-Griffiths
+86-136-8186-0166