[SpaceProgram] Quick Update on Day 1 of 100YSS Symposium

Huei Ming Tan tanhueiming at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 22:32:36 CEST 2012

Hi all,

Sorry for being slow to update. Need to organize my notes a bit and type it
all out. Jerry has updated you on Day 1 so I'm just gonna wrap up some
loose ends (and add some links for all to explore and chew on).

*JSC tour*
We arrived at Space Center Houston (the tour center for JSC) without
incident only to discover that we didn't have an organizer accompany us so
we had to call around before we were let in. Inside we were received by
someone who came down from PR office who gave us a nice intro to the place
and some tour recommendations. Once we found out that we're not going to
have a guided tour we took matters into our own hands, someone in our party
from JPL graciously volunteered to be a guide and we're off!

Trip itinerary basically went like:
1) A video showcasing NASA's achievement and future plans for the manned
programs (quite dated IMO for our Youtube HD world).
2) Tram tour to JSC's Apollo Mission Control Center, Space Vehicle Mockup
Facility & Rocket Park (there's an actual Saturn V restored rocket there!).
3) Lunch
4) Tour of Starship Gallery
Then most of us tour participants gathered somewhere quiet and just had a
conversation about why we came to the Symposium and our expectations (quite
a number of us were eager and willing to go hands on) before heading back
to the hotel.

It's remarkable that so much was done using 1960s technologies (see
link<http://www.thebernoullieffect.com/archives/images/JSC%20mission%20control700wide.jpg>for
image of the Mission Control), which was also echoed by a fellow
participant (cinema seats today trumps the seats in the VIP gallery there).
Another commented that visiting SpaceX first before JSC set the wrong
expectations (I've seen some
images<http://www.wired.com/autopia/2012/05/the-rocket-factory-spacex-builds-them-from-top-to-bottom/?pid=2000&viewall=true>
and
I agree too). I think it's a terrible pity that this institution, of
'national pride' has so much of a museum feel everywhere (which made me
understand better why Neil deGrasse Tyson's lamented
<http://youtu.be/CbIZU8cQWXc>that
nobody dreams about the future anymore).

*Papers*
I can understand the gentleman from LLNL's sentiment because while there
are good content and quality speakers (but not too many), there are very
few projects that deal with actual implementation. The interesting projects
I was fortunate to listen to were the ones on habitability around brown
dwarfs, SERVIR <http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/servir/index.html>,
Sunjammer<http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/tdm/solarsail/solarsail_overview.html>,
Optically Controlled and Corrected Active Meta-material Space Structures
(OCCAMS)<http://www.nasa.gov/offices/oct/early_stage_innovation/niac/2012_phaseII_fellows_ritter.html>
and
the Open Source Starship Alliance
(OSSA)<https://www.facebook.com/pages/Open-Source-Starship-Alliance/215717941846697>.
By the way I did not attend the presentation, but we were told by one of
the Project Icarus guys that we should be interested in Project
Hyperion<http://www.icarusinterstellar.org/projects/project-hyperion/>
(maybe
we can think of collaborating with them on mission planning).

*Proposers Lunch*
This was the one item on the agenda that I thought was well worth having us
flying out all the way to Houston on our own dime (the rest was bonus). And
instead of having a working lunch to discuss how we can all work together,
we had a fancy lunch and each group was asked to take turns at the mic to
share their project proposals in ~3 mins. We could have been asked to write
a two paragraph summary, have everyone's summaries collated into a PDF to
be mailed to all participants before Day 1 of Symposium. What a waste of
our collective money and time.

Anyway, I did my best to pitch what we intend to do within the allocated 3
mins, that:

   - we would like to start an international and inclusive organization
   called Space GAMBIT (for Global Alliance of Makers Building Interstellar
   Technologies),
   - organize interested Hackerspaces (and other maker communities) into
   working towards building a spacefaring civilization,
   - that we're aiming for 'sustainability living to enable a sustained
   effort' where Hackerspaces working towards a self sustainable community
   will be well positioned to contribute towards an international, long term
   space program,
   - our key focus areas are community, education and research
   - that we welcome partnerships with private & public sector,

*Day 3*
There was another plenary session with Levar Burton, Workshop Wrap Up
session and Track Wrap Up session to summarise the presentation tracks.
Nothing much of significance, except that Space GAMBIT was mentioned a
couple times in these sessions. Let's be grateful that others have taken
notice and was nice enough to give us a shoutout! :)

That's about it from me!

Warmest regards,
Huei Ming