[SpaceProgram] Zero Robotics Autonomous Space Capture Challenge

Jerry Isdale jerry at mauimakers.com
Sat Sep 1 21:56:06 CEST 2012

As a software only competition, you *could* do a virtual team with members who meet like we do -- online only, However there is going to be a very significant learning curve on the programming and algorithm development side. That really requires some good mentors/teachers being with the kids locally for best results.  So I would encourage hackerspaces to reach out to the local community and see if there is interest.

Here on Maui we have 6 high schools that regularly compete in the FIRST and VEX competitions.  I have reached out to them, as well as the Hawaii wide Robotics Organizing Committee.  VEX competition is already underway but FIRST doesnt start till January.  Some of the schools/kids will want to focus on those physical build competitions.  (I'm amazed at how much $$$ some schools put into these - mostly for travel.)  Other schools, with smaller programs, may find this software-only competition easier to manage and participate.  Or a way for their software members to do something more elaborate than simple telerobotics (and short autonomous).

Jerry Isdale
http://MauiMakers.com
http://www.mauimakers.com/blog/thursday-public-meeting/