[SpaceProgram] Fwd: DARPA Aims To Reuse Space Junk - Government - Information Management - Informationweek

Paul Szymkowiak paulszym+cchs at gmail.com
Sat Apr 28 19:04:59 CEST 2012

On 29 April 2012 02:53, cole santos <cksantos85 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think both is good, we propose themes, people can build projects.
> themes can be like education, navigation, in-situ resource, mission
> planning, propulsion, life support, etc.
>
> We need to finish bylaws and get corped

Good point. And, as Jerry has pointed out, we still need to decide a bunch
of related points around structure, name, purpose, etc.

Then we solicit members and projects, while running the first
> competition. We can do a competition for glory to show we are serious.
> Probably in the education category. We can do this without them,

Well, maybe. If we look at the GGHC, all teams were on a reasonably level
playing field due to the e14 seed money.
I suspect a large number of teams would not have participated at all
without those funds.
So, I agree that the "prize" could be simply "glory", but to get a good
number of teams involved, associated publicity, and people committing their
time to a competition, I think we'd at least need to cover basic materials
costs.

> darpa funding is like catalyst in resin sitting in the sun. Either way we
> cure, one way takes longer.

I wonder if we could obtain a small amount of funding from someone other
than DARPA for an initial competition?