[SpaceProgram] MIT Tech review: Planetary Resources -- a New Asteroid Mining Operation?

cole santos cksantos85 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 21:34:50 CEST 2012

OMG, we are now witnessing the beginning of the next era of
colonization. China just put the first post office into orbit....
Everyone is going for the moon. Chang Diaz has a NERVA rocket. Many in
the industry want us to formally colonize the moon. The space treaty
will be toast in 10 years. Obama is building asteroid ships. Now this
asteroid mining. These guys need a huge nickel carbonyl process plant.
One asteroid could build several giant habitats. Inflate a giant
rubber sphere with tiny ss heating elements in the surface and fill it
with nickel carbonyl and boron. Nickel boron deposits and you have a
giant metallic habitat with properties close to steel. That is how we
will build O'Neil sized habitats on the cheap. Giant heated rubber
molds. Nickel carbonyl can be produced by passing carbon monoxide over
crushed asteroid material. Iron can also be removed by this process.
Left overs are rare earths.....The first asteroid chunks could be sold
as is to NASA, ESA, ect for research. Unless they go carbonaceous
first and sell fuel and water to LEO.