[SpaceProgram] Introduction & Leightweight probes

Bradley Grzesiak listrophy at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 19:30:12 CEST 2012

Sorry, I wasn't terribly interested in the chemical accuracy when I was
working with it... I was more interested in the mechanical accuracy, which
was somewhat sufficient for what I was doing (compressive strength testing
on compacted, water-infused cores).

:brad

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 12:24 PM, Luke Weston <reindeerflotilla at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 2:59 AM, Bradley Grzesiak <listrophy at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Speaking as a former ORBITEC employee and lunar mining engineer, I can
> say a
> > few things about the regolith simulant.
> >
> > First, it's *really* fine. Like affect-your-lungs fine. I recommend a
> simple
> > $2 paper mask, which should suffice.
>
> I've never actually handled that stuff, but I'm sure that it gets
> everywhere, makes a mess, clings electrostatically to everything, and
> gets readily into your nose and mouth and lungs, as you've described.
>
> And if it didn't do all those things, it wouldn't be physically
> accurate regolith simulant.
>
> I'm sure it probably tastes and smells like black powder, too, just
> like the Apollo astronauts described the smell of real regolith.

Bradley Grzesiak
co-founder, bendyworks llc
http://bendyworks.com/