[SpaceProgram] HSP Project Grants: One-Shot, Multi-Phase, Continuing?

Jerry Isdale isdale at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 16:55:53 CEST 2012

The Hackerspace Space Program (HSP) is still in its early formative stages. Contract negotiations with our funding agency DARPA (USGovt  http://darpa.mil) are barely getting started and related experience indicates it could be 6mo to a year before we begin to see any money.

Meanwhile, I'd like to start some discussion about the functions of HSP.  The primary function is to provide small grants for research and education projects related to the enhancement of humanity’s survivability.  The proposal budget calls for $30,000US worth of grants to be funded every 3 months.

What style of grants should we be considering?

One-Shot Grant -- great ideas get $X once, and thats it for that person/group.  Not so great as it doesnt reward innovation and success. It might actually encourage people to submit ideas just to get some $ and not do the work.

Continuing Funding - some great idea (Unubtainium Production Reactor) gets funded $X every cycle as long as it continues to show progress.  Some measure of verified progress is required.

Multi-Phase, graduated funding:  Projects go through a series of phases with increasing funding.  This is similar to the USGovt Small Business Innovative Research (SBIR) program (http://www.sbir.gov/about/about-sbir). Phase 1 gives a small amount (say $1000US) to help develop an idea and support production of a proposal for Phase 2, perhaps with some design docs/prototype/simulation.  Phase 2 gets a bigger chunk ($5-10,000) and a bit more time perhaps to develop and produce a prototype.

Grants would probably be in the range of $1000-10,000 so we can support a number of innovative programs.  We would not expect our funds to be the sole source of income for the researcher/educator/developer, nor the sole funding for the project. We seek to offset the costs of development, not pay for it entirely.

What types of projects would be of interest?
There is a LOT of latitude in the " related to the enhancement of humanity’s survivability" statement.
It could be some educational and outreach programs to teach about Space or Limits of Growth or Growing Food or Peaceful Coexistance.  It could be development of a novel rocket engine, or micro-sat.

Given that we are a year (roughly) away from any Requests for Proposals, I dont want people to get over excited and start submitting proposals.  But I would like to hear what people think might be worthy of supporting, and how.

Thanks

Jerry Isdale
http://MauiMakers.com
Hackerspace Space Program