[SpaceProgram] Fwd: DARPA-RA-11-70 100YSS Notification

Ricky Ng-Adam rngadam at xinchejian.com
Fri Dec 30 17:01:02 CET 2011

Hello!

We have sadly NOT been selected for the DARPA 100 Year Starship... Sorry to
everyone who put their time into this. I'd like to extend my sincere
personal excuses towards everyone who contributed and hoped for this to
work out. I obviously should have done a better job at this!

I haven't been offered more details on why precisely we were rejected but
naturally I still think that Hackerspaces, as technical communities that
already are in existence and are self-sustainable were the ONLY logical
choice for such an organization but apparently DARPA disagreed....

In any case, I think direct funding from DARPA would have been
controversial for many hackerspaces (as witnessed on the
hackerspaces.orgmailing list recently). I do believe that many efforts
are ongoing in
Hackerspaces around the world to explore space. Among other things, at
XinCheJian, we just had a meeting this evening to discuss building testing
equipment for going to space (vibration, thermal gradient, shock, g-forces,
vacuum, etc) as the first logical step to building our own space robots.

Hopefully whatever organization that receives the funds will realize that
Hackerspaces are the best physical spaces to conduct projects of benefit to
humanity.

Notification letter extract attached.

Thanks,
--