[Spaceapi-devel] SpaceRDF

Iain R. Learmonth irl at sdf.org
Sun Nov 3 20:53:09 CET 2013

Hi,

I'd like to announce a new project: SpaceRDF.

SpaceRDF is about bringing together Hackerspaces and the Semantic Web.
Using Semantic Web technologies, SpaceRDF aims to provide a uniform way
of publishing data about hackerspaces.

The inital aim is to create an OWL ontology, extending other existing
ontologies where appropriate, that allows for the representation of all
the data that can be represented using SpaceAPI. Initially, no effort
will be made to seperate the physical space from the organisation,
although this may be considered later. SpaceAPI is designed to show a
standalone snapshot of current data whereas the SpaceRDF schema will be
designed to allow for the archiving of data and linking with other
datasets. It should be noted that SpaceRDF is not intended to replace
SpaceAPI, they both have different aims and will complement each other.

Once an initial OWL ontology has been created, a document describing a
mapping between SpaceAPI terms and SpaceRDF terms will be written. The
second aim of this project is to create an archive, that can be queried
using SPARQL, of data published by hackerspaces using SpaceAPI.

This project is very much still in the early stages but I plan on
putting in a fair amount of time to get a working ontology for the most
popular SpaceAPI terms by the end of the week. If you would like to stay
up to date with this, you can join the SpaceRDF mailing list[1] or visit
#spacerdf on Freenode.

The SpaceRDF website can be found at: http://spacerdf.org/

I look forward to hearing ideas and feedback.

Regards,
Iain.

[1]: http://www.freelists.org/list/spacerdf

--