[Pen] Handheld Transceiver

Paul Timmins paul at timmins.net
Mon Apr 16 07:20:37 CEST 2012

If you're needing access to search and rescue ops, "EPIRB" and "PLB" are the terms to search for, depending on whether you're near water or not. Some of them have fancy features like automatic deployment if the device suffers serious impact or gets wet, etc. Ham radio is only good if there are people listening, and they're in a position to help. Distress radiobeacons gets you up close and personal with the coast guard, civil air patrol, national guard, etc. And it works worldwide. There's receivers on many of the weather satellites. It's pretty fascinating stuff, and the right tool for the job.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cospas-Sarsat

-Paul