[Hackupy-discuss] Dovetail protester communications system

Shannon Lee shannon at scatter.com
Tue Jan 10 18:13:08 CET 2012

What are the other projects?  This would be a great place to plug
alternatives.

The users we're talking about are people who've decided to risk their lives
and their freedom to a greater or lesser extent in pursuit of their goals.
 If you asked the user "OK, do you want this ability, though insecure, or
do you not want this ability," many of them will vote to accept the risk;
the way they'll vote to accept the risk is by using the tech.  I know this
because they *do* vote to accept the risk, over and over and over.

I don't think that supporting people who are willing to take such risks is
a bad thing.  I do think that people should be able to take those
risks consciously.  And I also think it isn't hard: functionality always
outpaces security.  People using a tech ought to be able to choose the
advanced functionality at the cost of the security lagging behind, even at
risk of their lives.

Besides which, this is an *incredibly* useful tech in places where the
security needs aren't that high:  this is a great tool for something like
Occupy, which still needs to be able to communicate if the cell phones go
down in the protest area and which does not, by and large, need to worry
about the police showing up and shooting them in their beds.

--S

--
Shannon Lee
(503) 539-3700