[Hackupy-discuss] OWS Tech Ops Newsletter - edition 2

David Judd david.a.judd at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 14:30:10 CET 2012

In the second edition of the Occupy Wall Street Tech Ops newsletter:

   - News/Updates
   - Events
      - Calls (National)
      - Trainings (NYC)
      - Meetings (NYC)
      - Hackathons (NYC)
   - Mentorships
   - Get Involved
   - Stay In Touch
   - Feedback

*-----
- News/Updates*

   - *InterChange*: We've released a beta version of a new job board for
   Occupy.net called InterChange <http://interchange.occupy.net/>. If
   you're part of an OWS working group, you can use InterChange to help you
   find people to perform specific tasks or fill specific roles; if you're
   looking for a way to help OWS, you can use InterChange to find something to
   do that's right for you.
   - *Demo Day*: The NYC OWS Tech Ops working group participated in an Activist
   Technology Demo
Day<http://tech.nycga.net/2012/01/26/ows-tech-at-activist-tech-demo-day/>at
the Eyebeam
   Art & Technology Center <http://eyebeam.org/> on Saturday, January 28.
   We demoed Occupy.net, NYCGA.net, the alpha version of Permabank,
   Livestream, and click-to-vote devices alongside folks from Occupy With
   Art <http://www.occupywithart.com/>, the Free Network
Foundation<http://freenetworkfoundation.org/>,
   and others, to scores of students, artists, technologists and activists,
   who circulated between tables. We then participated in a whole-event
   conversation about the relationship between technology, the free/libre/open
   source movement, community organizing and political activism. We hope to
   continue and expand our outreach to technology communities about the Occupy
   movement!
   - *Trainings*: NYC Tech Ops has a conducted a series of trainings
   targeted at other occupiers, on use of nycga.net, occupy.net services,
   and computer security, among other topics. Many thanks to Drew & Devin for
   setting these up! We've held these several Mondays in a row, training
   several dozen people. However, we don't yet have a fixed schedule for how
   these will continue. We plan to continue offering trainings, and hope to
   set up a regular time & place. Please keep an eye out for details.

*-----
**- Events*
*Times & locations subject to change. For NYC events, check the events
calendar <http://nycga.net/groups/tech/events/>.
*

*--- Calls (National)*

   - National tech coordinating calls take place in the 2nd and 4th week of
   every month. Check titanpad.com/NationalTechGroup for exact times
andcall-in details.

*-**-- Trainings** (NYC)*

   - Check nycga.net for dates, locations, and subjects of upcoming
   trainings.

*--- **Meetings** (NYC)*

   - General meetings every Wednesday and Sunday at 6pm at 60 Wall St. This
   is where the Tech Ops working group makes decisions requiring group
   consensus. All are welcome.
   - OccupyWallStreet.net Content Team meets every Monday at 6pm at 60 Wall
   St - all are welcome.
   - OccupyWallStreet.net Development meeting every Thursday at 4pm - check
   nycga.net for details.

*-**-- Work Sessions/Hackathons** (NYC)*

   - Ready to help out with a Tech Ops project now? Join us for a
   hackathon! Currently we're doing these every Friday, 5-7pm - but the
   location is not fixed, so please contact tech+rsvp at nycga.net to RSVP and
   get details. This is a good place to meet people and get introduced to a
   project, or to work collaboratively on a project you've already been
   involved with for a while. There should be some spare computers, but if
   you have your own laptop, please bring it.

*-----
**- Mentorships*
If you are interested in seriously developing your coding skills, Tech Ops
is beginning a mentorship program. We want to share our skills at writing
software and administering systems with people who might not have
previously had the opportunity to learn them, but want to help  solve the
movement's problems with technology. If you're interested in working
one-on-one with a more experienced Tech Ops member, write to
tech at nycga.netand tell us what you know already and what you want to
work on.

*-----
**- Get Involved*
Please s <http://goog_692537277>ign up as a
volunteer<http://tech.nycga.net/volunteer/>
!

And/or, check out our jobs board at interchange.occupy.net for a list of
specific skills & roles that Tech Ops projects need.

*-----
**- Stay in Touch*
Tech Ops has a blog <http://tech.nycga.net>, a
forum<http://nycga.net/groups/tech/forum>,
a Twitter account (@OWS_Tech), an IRC channel (#nycga-techops), and an
email address (tech at nycga.net)!

*-----
**- Feedback*
Something missing from this newsletter? Got feedback? Let us know! Post on
the forum <http://nycga.net/groups/tech/forum> or email us at tech at nycga.net
.