[Hackupy-discuss] Lighting

Eleanor Saitta ella at dymaxion.org
Tue Nov 22 06:22:31 CET 2011

On 2011.11.21 22.54, dsniezko at sonic.net wrote:
> One thing occupiers keep talking about in SF is the need for lighting.
> Our big tents, canopies can get really dark, in the evening it is
> difficult to work and not very inviting (many have 12V power via marine
> battery or power pack).
>
> There are all kinds of things we could do with leds, but I'm a little
> overwhelmed in terms of options: pre-made 5m led strips, soldering arrays
> of ultrabright leds, 1W star leds, etc.
>
> I'd love to hear particular products, light designs others have used!

A friend was working with a manufacturer of some nice solar-rechargeable
LED lights (not the mushroom/stake kind) designed for dealing with
pretty much that purpose.  You'll have to shuffle them out into the sun
during the day, and they're only going to give you maybe 4-6 hours of
light, but that may still be a good option.  I'll see if there's a US
distributor.  It'd likely be cheaper to build something from raw parts
that runs on 12V, but getting some of these as a more immediate solution
might be useful.

E.

--
Ideas are my favorite toys.