[Hackupy-discuss] Aerial camera platform

Tomm tomm.fire at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 22:54:59 CET 2011

Hi Ian,

I like it!  I designed pipe crawling robots long ago, and a challenge
with them is that if the weight isn't distributed quite right, they tend
to wander and this makes them hard to steer.  Putting most weight
towards the bottom of the crawler will help keep it aligned.  We used
differential (tank-like) driving.

Magnetic wheels are great, but be careful when putting the robot on the
pipe.  The really strong magnetic wheels are brittle, and I saw a number
of shattered wheels over the years.  Spares highly recommended.  Also,
magnetic wheels will leave marks on painted surfaces - just something to
keep in mind, as coating the wheels would reduce the adhesion
significantly.

Here's an magnetic pipe crawler that shows a good aspect ratio for a
pipe crawler:
http://images.yourdictionary.com/images/computer/_MAGPIE.GIF

Since the robot will be on a light pole near a huge honkin' light, it
might be a good idea to put a solar panel on the top of the unit.  Not
only is it light shielding for the camera, but there's enough lux that
you might get the rated panel output, and a 4" x 6" panel can deliver
100 mA.  That should be enough to drive a phone for several hours a day,
and perhaps even most of the time.  Seems like a good idea for long-term
occupations as you'd only have to install the robot once.

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_228072_-1

Happy to meet in person,

     Tomm
(also just subscribed)