[Hackupy-discuss] oakland occucopter meeting and developments

sam reese skibumperspective at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 20:34:38 CET 2011

As an aside, Incase you on the list don't know Rubin or I, we've been
on projects together for a /Long/ time, and Rubin is often the whip
that keeps email threads from going way off topic, generally with
off-color jokes.

Anyways, At the DSC, over last week, we completed the beta version
frame, which is a large aluminum hack-together thing, and also rather
heavy. It is a total hack thrown together out of stuff that we had and
stuff that was super easy to get, including some extra weight in terms
of uprights to keep the rotors from shattering from a ground impact
(which is the usual mode of failure we've seen a lot of in youtube
videos: pilot comes in for landing, catches a gear, rolls the piece
and destroys all rotors with ground-strike.)

That said, the frame is HEAVY. We may need to re-engineer and rebuild
it after we learn how to fly the beast, but before we start flying
camera payloads.

http://twitpic.com/7kz1gi
https://twitter.com/#!/occucopter/status/141410625430634496/photo/1

The large frame will give us a rotor-to-rotor distance of 28", which
should give us a relatively stable platform.

I've purchased the four matched ESCs and motors as well as the
batteries, using the ever-jankey looking HobbyKing.com, so I'll be
reporting soon on them either living up to the redonkulus good deals
they post on their site, or being shysters.

Also, I'm not going to be at the shop tonight, but the important parts
are on order. I expect we'll be ready to fly this weekend or early
next week. Stay tuned for crash videos!