[Hacker-event-theory] HEDP #1: Make it easy and rewarding to Volunteer

Piet De Vaere piet at devae.re
Thu Sep 19 19:47:59 CEST 2013

On 19 September 2013 19:40, Nick Farr <nick at nickfarr.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 6:20 AM, Amran <amx109 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > i would also point out the difference with regards to the setting of an
> > event. i feel its easier to use an online system for volunteering at a
> > congress (easier to catch up on sleep, not stressed by environment, less
> > distances to get between events) than in a camping setting.
>
> I actually disagree, provided that there are terminals/access
> available for people to sign up.
>
> Of course, the Volunteer AND Info Desk should have the capability to
> add/remove people from their shifts.  You are right that access to a
> computer/phone should not be a prerequisite for volunteering.

This is something that should be explicitly in the design principle. I
hadn't realised this up to now, but this is a problem we had at ohm.
Quite often when people asked how to volunteer the answer was "go to
badger.ohm2013.org and register", but there were no terminals
available to do that. So perhaps we could advise to put up some
terminals and set up the volunteering system as start page

**Wild idea that just came to me: what about setting up the
volunteering system as welcome page to the wifi?